The symptoms of mold allergies can occur throughout the year, and many people experience worsening symptoms in the spring and summer seasons. The symptoms of a mold allergy may occur as a result of either outdoor mold or indoor mold. If you suspect that you have mold allergies, it is a good idea to have allergy testing done in order to determine what is causing your health condition.
Typically, symptoms for outdoor and indoor mold are very similar. In fact, many people assume that their allergies are caused only by outdoor factors - but the truth is that if any mold is present within their home they will continue experiencing symptoms even when the allergy season is over.
Outdoor mold typically causes symptoms of mold allergies in the warmer months, because mold thrives in humid and warm climates. Symptoms of a mold allergy may include:
These symptoms of a mold allergy will continue as long as you are exposed to the mold spores. With outdoor mold allergies, typically the symptoms will decrease in the colder months. However, indoor mold allergies can continue throughout the year as long as the mold is present within your home. If you want to completely get rid of your indoor symptoms of mold allergies, then you should follow the proper steps to identify and clean up the mold that is growing in your home.
If you are experiencing these symptoms and you suspect that there is mold growing in your home, it is important that you take immediate action to have your home tested for mold. A professional tester can do air and surface testing throughout your home to identify whether or not there is a mold problem.
Some people make the mistake of trying to take care of the mold problem on their own without consulting with a professional. Do it yourself projects often result in continued mold exposure within the home, which means that the symptoms of a mold allergy will continue. Remember that mold spores cannot be seen with the naked eye, so they may still be present even if you don’t see any specific areas that have large amounts of mold growth.
You can purchase do-it-yourself mold testing kits at hardware stores or online, but we highly suggest that you consult with a professional if you want accurate results. Results can vary greatly with do-it-yourself mold testing kits. Additionally, a mold specialist can show you how to get rid of your symptoms of mold allergies, because they will know the right cleanup methods that should be used in your individual situation. Every mold cleanup job is unique, and they must be handled with care to prevent cross contamination and additional mold exposure.
You can follow this link to get a list of Professional Mold Testers in your area.
The picture below shows mold in an air conditioning closet on the wood frame and walls.
Often, homeowners will experience an increase in their symptoms of mold allergies if they attempt to clean up the problem on their own. The cleanup process causes mold spores to be released into the air, which causes more exposure to everyone within the home, and can actually cause the mold to spread to other parts of the home as well.
When mold is removed from a home it is important to wear protective gear such as a face mask, goggles, rubber gloves, etc. But, the process can still be very dangerous if you are not trained in mold remediation. Instead of putting your family at risk, it is a good idea to consider hiring a professional who will know how to effectively get rid of the mold by cleaning up the problem completely.
For a list of professionals in your area that can test your home for mold, just follow this link.