Health Effects of Black Mold
The health effects of black mold are very serious, and a mold problem should not be taken lightly. This article is going to cover some of the dangers of black mold so that you understand why mold is such a problem and how it should be cleaned up.
Illnesses Caused by Black Mold
When a mold contamination is present in a building, it can cause health effects of black mold through the toxicity that builds up in a person’s body. The dangers of black mold can occur through several forms of exposure, including:
- Breathing in microscopic mold spores. These spores move through the ventilation system within the building. They are so small that you cannot see them, but breathing in the spores can result in toxicity within the body.
- Food contamination. When the mold spores are present in the air, food may become contaminated and those spores are ingested when the food is eaten.
- Direct contact. When your skin comes into direct contact with the mold, it may cause a number of health effects of black mold. Avoid direct contact, because it is extremely dangerous.
If you are exposed to the dangers of black mold in any of these ways, it is likely that symptoms will develop and you will experience increased health problems. The symptoms usually start out small, because the mold exposure is small in the beginning.
But, as the mold growth spreads, the number of mold spores in the house quickly increases, causing a compounding effect on your health problems.
Some illnesses that are caused by black mold include: allergies, asthma, stuffy nose, sinus infections, lung infections, lupus, dizziness, headaches (see picture), nausea, chronic fatigue syndrome, fertility problems, and even cancer. If you have been experiencing any of these symptoms for an extended period of time, then it is a good idea to have your home tested for mold problems. You can follow this link for a list of
Certified Mold Testers
in your area.
How To Treat Mold Symptoms
When you are experiencing the health effects of black mold, two steps need to be taken in order to correct the problem: First, it is necessary to visit the doctor and treat the health effects with medical techniques; and second, it is very important to clean up the home in order to minimize the dangers of black mold.
This cleanup process is a critical part of stopping the symptoms; because if you simply treat the health problems while you continue to be exposed, then the health problems will only continue to get worse. Medical treatments will not effectively heal your body until you have removed the source of mold exposure.
Cleaning up the mold involves identifying all of the areas of the home that are growing mold. These areas are usually exposed to high levels of humidity or wetness, and the building materials usually need to be replaced. For example, if there is mold growth in the bathroom, then it is likely that the walls need to be opened in order to clean up mold growth within as well. The area should be repaired with brand new materials.
If you are doing the cleanup yourself, then the dangers of black mold increase during the cleanup process because you will be increasing your exposure to the mold. In order to avoid the health effects of black mold, it is necessary to take precautionary steps in order to prevent cross contamination and also minimize the exposure. Wearing goggles, a mask, and other protective clothing can help you to avoid exposure to the spores.
If you want to be safe, we recommend hiring a professional who has experience working with mold removal. They can advise you on the best cleanup process to completely get rid of your mold problems.
Why We Recommend a Free Consultation With a Mold Removal Specialist:
- They will assess the situation at no cost to you.
- They will help you find mold that you may not have seen. This is very important because if you miss even a little mold, you remain at risk for health problems
- They have the knowledge and special equipment to safely remove mold without exposing you to further health problems.
- They can advise you on techniques that will help you complete the job safely if you opt to do the work yourself.
Follow this link to get a list of licensed
Mold Removal Specialists
offering free consultations in your town.
Symptoms of Black Mold Exposure - Additional information on the health effects of black mold, including the black mold symptoms to look for.
Black Mold Illness - Potential illnesses related to exposure to black mold. Treatment options, safely removing the mold and preventing it from returning.
Black Mold Allergy Symptoms - Learn why black mold exposure symptoms are often mistaken for other environmental allergies.
Return From Health Effects Of Black Mold To Our Black Mold Health Symptoms Home Page