What is Black Mold?

What is black mold, anyway? The term black mold no doubt strikes an ominous chord with homeowners and people with sensitive respiratory systems everywhere, but many don’t really know the specifics of what it is or how to deal with it. Even fewer know the basics of black mold detection or what they should do if they suspect it may be an issue in their home.

“Black mold” is the commonly used term for the notorious fungi known as Strachbotrys chartarum. It is highly toxic in regards to the human respiratory system and has been linked to mycotoxicosis, severe asthma, and many types of invasive disease in adults. Severe infections from black mold poisoning can mean nerve or brain damage. In infants or individuals who have compromised immune systems, black mold can even cause death due to respiratory infection or pulmonary bleeding.

Black mold is something quite serious that could potentially cause irreparable damage to you or your family.

How do I know if I have a black mold problem in my home?

Mold infestations spread when the spores -- which attach easily to clothing, people or pets -- are spread throughout an area. Spores can even enter a space through an open door or window and they thrive in environments that are damp or filled with moisture. This is the reason they’re such a huge issue when problems with water seepage occur. If you live somewhere with a damp, humid climate or you’ve had any sort of issue in your home that involved water leakage, you should perform a thorough black mold detection check to assess the situation.

Damp wood, dry wall, cardboard, fabric, insulation – all of these and more are perfect places where mold can settle and flourish. So what is proper black mold detection all about? It’s about inspecting dampened substances like the ones mentioned, as well as areas of your home where dampness sometimes accumulates, for telltale dark patches of mildew-like growth.

When black mold is wet, it is slick and slimy in appearance, but sometimes you may find dried patches of mold as well. It is important never to pick or scratch at dried black mold, as the spores are very dangerous and doing this spreads the spores into the air, making it more likely that you or your family will inhale them. So remember – when identifying what is black mold and what isn’t, remember it can be damp or dry and that caution should always be taken.

What do I do if I successfully identify black mold?

While it is possible to deal with a black mold infestation on your own, it is incredibly difficult to determine whether or not you’ve eliminated the spores and the associated health risks completely. Plus, dealing directly with the mold yourself – even if you’re super careful – means a health risk it’s really best you don’t take. For that reason, it’s always advisable to consult with a trained Black Mold Professional should you think you’ve detected black mold.

What’s more, there’s really no reason not to. There isn’t a fee charged for a simple consultation to determine whether or not you have an issue. Plus, should you still decide you’d rather try to clean the mold yourself, the specialist can give you priceless instructions on how to make sure you’re doing it properly so you don’t jeopardize your health or that of your loved ones.

Finding a qualified professional who can help you with black mold detection and removal once and for all couldn’t be simpler either. Simply follow this link to get a comprehensive listing of Trained and Licensed Experts in your area. They can help you with your questions as to what is black mold as well. The sooner you speak with a black mold specialist about your concerns, the sooner you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes along with knowing your home is a safe place for you and your family to be.

Black mold on wall and trim

Return From What Is Black Mold To Our Black Mold In Homes Page

Black Mold Health Symptoms Home Page

Black Mold Sickness

Black Mold Pictures

Choosing a Remediation Company

Proper Home Humidity Levels