Water Damage House Mold

Water damage house mold is a problem after floods and sometimes after heavy storms during which roofs leak. Water damage mold removal is very important because mold growing in your house can make you very ill. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold is a potential problem any time furnishings, carpeting or other materials in your home have gotten wet and been wet for at least two days. Even if you can’t see mold growing on the materials, it will be there and you’ll need water damage mold removal services.

Why It’s So Important to Get Rid of Mold

It’s important to get rid of mold in your house because mold can cause numerous health problems if you inhale mold spores in the air over a period of time, including:

  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Runny nose
  • Allergic-type reactions
  • Headache
  • Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
  • Itchy, watery eyes
  • Sore throat
  • Depression
  • Fatigue
  • General feeling of malaise

Some people tend to be affected by water damage house mold more than others, including children, elderly people, people with poor immune systems, people plagued by environmental allergies and people with respiratory disorders. Even healthy adults can become ill when exposed to too much mold for too long a time, however.

If you don’t get rid of mold in a timely manner, it will simply grow and spread. You and your family members will likely experience more and more health problems due to the mold and it will be more difficult to clean it up when you decide you’re ready to tackle the job.

How to Get Rid of Water Damage House Mold

Water Damage House Mold

Water damage mold removal is not as simple a process as you might imagine because mold spores become airborne and settle all over the place. Mold frequently grows in hard-to-reach areas, like beneath kitchen and bathroom sinks and inside walls, making it difficult to clean up. You may not even realize all the places mold is growing in your home.

Even if you discover all the house mold and are able to reach it, you must be careful not to inhale any mold spores when cleaning it up. You’ll need to wear an N-95 face mask and should also wear protective eyewear to keep mold spores out of your eyes. You should wear rubber gloves and an outfit that completely covers your arms and legs and that can be easily laundered in hot water as soon as you’re done cleaning for the day. You don’t want to walk around your house in the clothing you wore to clean up mold, or you risk spreading water damage house mold spores to other areas of your house.

Some people try to clean up mold with bleach and water, but we don’t recommend that. If you’re going to clean up your mold problem on your own, you should buy a biocide designed for that purpose. However, you might prefer to have a water damage mold removal specialist handle the job for you. These experts in water damage house mold know where to look for mold, how to get to the hard-to-reach places, have all the right equipment and supplies, and are well-trained in how to do the job safely without exposing themselves or you to any more mold or dangerous chemicals than necessary. They typically offer free inspections of your home, so they can point out all your problem areas and advise you about how best to address them. They’ll also give you a free estimate of the cost of a professional cleaning.

Why You Should Have A Free Consultation With A Water Damage Mold Removal Specialist:

  • Depending on the source of the water damage, mold may be extremely hazardous to your health. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends working with a professional if there is a possibility the water was contaminated with something hazardous, like sewage. Even if the mold was simply caused by something like a leak beneath your toilet, there could be harmful bacteria growing along with the mold. A professional can help you determine if the water in your home may have been contaminated with something.
  • A professional knows how to locate mold that many homeowners miss. If you have mold growing on household surfaces due to water damage, there is a good chance mold has spread to other areas where it cannot easily be seen, like inside walls, underneath carpet, and inside heating ducts. A professional can make sure you’ve found all the mold in your home so you can do a thorough cleanup.
  • A mold removal specialist can advise you about the best techniques for removing mold from different surfaces and about safety precautions that should be taken during the process.
  • A mold removal specialist can also advise you about ways to prevent future mold growth.

Mold removal specialists usually offer free consultations, so you can get some free professional advice even if you opt to take care of the mold removal in your home yourself. Follow this link to get a list of licensed Water Damage/Mold Removal Specialists in your area.

Return From Water Damage House Mold To Our Mold and Water Damage Specialists Page

Black Mold Health Symptoms Home Page

Types of Mold

Health Issues From Mold

Choosing a Remediation Company

Mold Stories