Testing for black mold is an extremely important process if you suspect that there might be mold present in your home or business. The test for black mold will identify whether the mold spores are present, and how severe the problem is.
Don't make the mistake of trying to test for black mold without consulting a professional, because the testing procedure can actually be inaccurate if you are using an at-home testing kit. Also, the testing procedure may expose you to health problems as a result of the mold, so caution needs to be used during the testing process.
When you choose a professional to do the testing for black mold, ask about their accreditation. There are two specific professional organizations that can offer the proper certification: the American Council for Accredited Certification (ACAC) along with the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH). A professional with either of these credentials will have the experience and training needed to accurately test your property for mold, and to help you find any hidden mold.
Specific surfaces can be tested for mold, but many homeowners don't realize that airborne testing is also very important. When a mold problem begins to spread through a building, the mold spores become airborne and they can travel into the HVAC system and spread into other areas. These spores are microscopic, which means that they cannot be detected without using a machine that can test the air.
Surfaces that are commonly affected by mold are those areas that have been damp or wet, and mold can begin growing within just a day or two. The initial mold growth may not be visible to the eye, so if you are cleaning up a flood or an area that has been wet for an extended period of time, it is best to do an air test for black mold to prevent future problems.
Also, keep in mind that testing for black mold involves detecting whether or not the mold is growing in an inconspicuous place. Some common areas of mold growth include under the carpet, inside the walls, or behind bathroom tiles. Just because you can't see the mold growing on the surface doesn't mean that there isn't any present.
Even though mold may just seem like a dirty area in your home, don't put off the test for black mold because mold exposure can cause numerous health problems. Some people make the assumption that a little bit of mold isn't a big deal, and they try to clean up the visible mold with a rag and standard household cleaner. This cleanup process is dangerous because it may spread the mold spores... the spores will not be properly killed and they will continue to spread through the house. Remember that mold is not the same thing as dirt, mold spores are living organisms that will spread if they aren't completely killed.
Testing for black mold is only the first step in a long process that needs to be done in order to completely get rid of the problem. Once you have done the test for black mold, it is best to consult with a different professional who can handle the cleanup process for you. Working with two different companies is the best approach, because one can do the testing to monitor the efficacy of the cleanup from the other company.
Following the proper testing and cleanup protocol will help you to prevent problems in the future, and keep your family safe from the dangers of mold exposure.
To find a professional to test your home for mold, just follow the link provided.