The symptoms of black mold poisoning can be very severe if they are left untreated, so if you find black mold in your home it is important to take immediate action to clean up the mess. The beginning symptoms are typically not as severe, but as a person is continually exposed to the mold their symptoms will become worse.
The symptoms of mold poisoning actually begin with mold exposure. When a person is exposed, it means that they have inhaled a small amount of mold spores intermittently, which begins to cause mild symptoms, such as:
Many of these symptoms are similar to contracting the flu, so it is common for the person to think that they have contracted a virus or other illness. When the symptoms don’t go away, the person will start looking for other causes of their health problems.
If the mold exposure symptoms are ignored and the person continues to be exposed to the mold, black mold poisoning will begin. These symptoms are much more severe than simple mold exposure symptoms:
As these health problems progress, serious conditions can occur. These severe symptoms are different for each person, but they may include: depression or anxiety, heart attack, cancer, stomach ulcers, fertility problems, fibromyalgia, or lupus.
If you suspect that your health is being damaged by the mold, it is essential that you take immediate action to clean up the problem. There are specific steps that should be followed in order to prevent your symptoms of black mold poisoning from getting worse. Some people don’t realize how dangerous the situation can be, and they end up harming themselves in the cleanup process because they didn’t take the preventative steps that are necessary to avoid increased mold exposure.
When you are cleaning the mold, more spores will become air bound so there is a higher chance for mold inhalation. Additionally, if the mold comes in contact with your skin it can cause more health problems. If you choose to clean up the mold by yourself, be sure that you are wearing protective clothing such as rubber gloves, goggles, and a face mask.
Also, it is necessary to prevent cross contamination by sealing off the affected room. Plastic and tape can be used to prevent the mold spores from spreading throughout the house, and it is also suggested to use a negative air machine during this time to keep the air as clean as possible.
Even though the symptoms of black mold poisoning are severe, they can be treated by removing the mold from your home. Many people find that their health begins to improve as soon as the mold is cleaned up and they are no longer exposed. Depending on your individual health condition, additional medical treatments may be needed, so it is a good idea to talk with your doctor about the symptoms that you are experiencing.
It is usually best to consult with a professional about any mold situation, because there are specific steps that should be taken depending on the area of the home that is affected. Following the proper protocol for mold cleanup will ensure that you have completely removed the mold and also prevent the mold from coming back.
Follow the link for a list of local Mold Remediation Contractors.
Return From Symptoms Of Black Mold To Our Black Mold Poisoning Page
Black Mold Health Symptoms Home Page