Toxic black mold is an organism that grows as a greenish or black color, and it is typically found in damp or wet areas of the home. This mold is also called “Stachybotrys chartarum,” Stachybotrys alternans,” or “S. atra.” When mold is found in a building, it is important to clean up the problem immediately in order to avoid serious health problems as a result of exposure. Exposure to black toxic mold can cause sinus infections, asthma symptoms, headaches, trouble concentrating, respiratory infections, fevers, depression and pulmonary disease.
When toxic black mold begins to grow, it is usually accompanied by a moist, damp environment that encourages the mold growth. Areas with high levels of humidity are prone to mold problems, especially if the humidity is more than 55%. People living in humid areas can decrease the risk of mold growth in their home by using dehumidifiers to dry out the damp areas in the home.
Other environmental factors that can encourage mold growth are: pipe leaks or water leaks in the home, flooding, a leaky roof, or damp basements. If your home has any of these conditions, it is suggested that you have the area checked for mold growth, and decrease the dampness by fixing the water problem.
Additionally, toxic mold can also grow in bathrooms or kitchens where water is used on a regular basis. Many people find this mold growing in their shower, between bathroom tiles, or around the edges of linoleum. Bathrooms are commonly affected by this mold because of the high humidity from bathing. The grout between tiles and soft materials in linoleum can be prone to trapped water, which creates the perfect environment for mold growth.
Professional tests can be used to detect mold spores within a home, and it is a good idea to consult with a professional if you suspect that there may be a mold problem. Ignoring the mold growth may result in serious health problems for you and your family.
Even if the mold is not visible on the outside, it is possible that there is mold growth within the structure of the building. Internal mold problems can still lead to health issues, and mold spores can usually be detected in the air. Breathing these spores can be dangerous, and the situation needs to be handled with care in order to prevent cross contamination with the rest of the home.
If you find mold growing in your home, you should take immediate steps to stop the problem from spreading. Thorough and complete mold cleanup is necessary to ensure that there are no longer spores present in the home. Often, it is necessary to tear out carpet and other types of flooring in order to clean up the mold deep within the floors and walls. Once the toxic black mold is eradicated, the area needs to be completely dry before replacing the flooring or re-painting the walls.
Mold growth can be prevented by using dehumidifiers and maintaining good ventilation throughout the home. If you have rooms in your house that are prone to dampness, it is a good idea to avoid carpet in those rooms. Also, take some time to insulate windows and other cold surfaces, which will help to avoid condensation inside the house.
It is possible to treat a toxic black mold problem on your own, but some people make the mistake of missing some of the mold growth or cross contaminating other areas of their home during the cleanup process. The best way to completely eliminate the problem and prevent future mold growth is by using a professional. Remediation companies offer a free consultation to assess the problem and suggest a cleanup solution.
When consulting with a toxic mold specialist, you can expect:
You can find a list of qualified toxic mold remediation specialists here.
Black toxic mold found in an attic.
Return To Our Black Mold In Homes Page
Black Mold Health Symptoms Home Page